Sunday, October 10, 2010

Beware the Con Tweens

Overheard: 'I have barn dick,' said a young man to his two companions as they all walked quickly past me on Michigan Avenue.

Last time I was in the Magnificent Mile, I'm pretty sure I gave money to some fourteen-year-old con artists. Three kids, trying to get money for entry to a basketball tournament. They showed me a very unofficial-looking document with some generic information. No dates or organization names or anything. Yep. I gave them a buck anyway. I just wanted to continue drinking my tea and smoking my cigarette.
I suppose I shouldn't encourage that behavior, but I was actually impressed with their initiative. Instead of just panhandling, they went through all the trouble to come up with a scheme and then carry it out. Hell, those little bastards could be running the country some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment