Sunday, February 01, 2009

Bitter and Twisted

Some one has used my debit card to make purchases at Wal-Mart. I have decided to track this person down and make them dead. I am hoping to get this on video tape.

I applied to the last school on my list, the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. They sent me a giant book full of information about the school and the city of Chicago. Now I'm kind of thinking that it wouldn't be terrible if I wound up going there, though some of the student work they chose to include made me wonder if someone isn't trying to sabotage the SAIC.
Two of the most awesomest things about Chicago: (1) The Gene Siskel Film Center – brand new, state-of-the art, the book calls it "the most technologically advanced film-viewing facility in the Midwest," which I have heard repeated elsewhere. The Center shows movies every day of the week and only charges students $4. Plus, it also hosts courses and lectures, and panel discussions with guest directors, artists, and scholars. There is a cafe, but no booze. Anyway, number (2) The Poetry Center of Chicago, which is a non-profit organization that offers readings, workshops, residencies, and arts education. Their goal is to make poetry accessible to the general public, and their past guests include Billy Collins, Allen Ginsberg, Gwendolyn Brooks, and Mary Oliver.
I would probably spend all of my time in these two places. Plus, there's the Blues Fest, the Irish American Heritage Festival, and Taste of Chicago.
One more thing: a recent exhibit at the Art Institute of Chicago was called, "2001: Building for Space Travel."
Maybe it would be a bad idea for me to remain in Iowa City, even if I did get into the UI workshop. Twenty-three years old and I haven't lived outside of Iowa yet – not really. Maybe Chicago is the right place to go. At least I wouldn't have to worry about missing subzero temperatures and snow inside my shoes.
SAIC is right off Lake Shore, south of Wacker Drive. It's probably really expensive to live there. Stuido apartments in the South Loops, where the school is located, start at around $1000 per month. Things are looking pretty bleak for me financially – I would have to work my ass off to get enough money together. Right now, all I can think about is how much I'd like to set here all day and read this book by Mia Gallagher that I picked up for on the plane in August. Still haven't read it. It's called "Hellfire," her debut novel. And next to that, "East of Eden," by Steinbeck. I should probably read that one first.

Today people are watching the Super Bowl. I have hamburger meat, beer, and high pulp orange juice. I am ready. Oddly, I have come to loathe the commercials that play during the Super Bowl. They used to be innovative, but now they just try way too hard. I will be keeping track of the game online.
Also, I am rooting for the Steelers because their defensive coordinator is named Dick LeBeau.

No comments:

Post a Comment